Monday, March 17, 2008

Mom's Bed Is Still The Best

When I was young, my Mom and I shared a bedroom. My Dad snored and it kept her awake so for the most part, she opted out. Two of my nieces lived with us also, so Mom slept in a twin bed with my niece Gina and I slept in the other twin bed with my niece Luann. Every now and then if I had difficulty sleeping or was not feeling well, I would get in bed with Mom pulling the covers around her feet to make a mock pillow for my head. Boy that would be the best sleep ever. It must be universal because Sheryl Kravitz wrote a story about children that found Mommy and Daddy's bed to be The Coziest Bed In The World! Well, in the wee hours of this morning, Mom was having some difficulty. I don't know if she had had a nightmare or maybe woke up not recognizing where she was but she was shaking quite a bit. I put her back in the bed (now she sleeps in the big bed where my Dad used to sleep) and tucked her in real well to make sure to warm her up I climbed in with her. She immediately calmed down. Again, I gathered the covers around her feet and layed my head there. She patted my leg and I patted hers and off to dream land we went. I fell into such a deep sleep, my daughter had difficulty waking me. She said she had never heard me snore like that before. Oh, if only I could have slept until I woke up on my own but you know how it is. A Mother's work is never done so when duty calls you've got to get going.

No comments: