Monday, February 18, 2008

Skunktus Interruptus...


The weather was quite blustery here during the night and a family of skunks wanted a place to hide so they attempted, at 4am to pull the siding off the back of my house, along the wall of my bedroom right where my headboard is. This had happened previously but it had been a while. After the last time, I found a piece of wooden trellis and placed it along the back of the house and pushed the grill against it. Last night, they were relentless. They were jerking the trellis back and forth and banging against the wall. First I banged back hoping to frighten them, but that did not work. Then I got my flashlight and shined it through the bedroom window but that just seemed to make them work more fervently. So I got bold and opened my bedroom window so I could shine the light directly on them but they said, "Thanks lady. Now we can see exactly where we want to burrow." So I had to do something I hated to do...I woke my son, Micah. Now Micah loves the Lord and I think next in line is sleep. He brought me one of his air rifles and I began to do a bit of target practice. On one hand, that was a good thing because the skunks ran. On the other hand, they ran toward the front of the yard, where my sweet little companion, Chewchy (See photo on 2/1 posting) was relieving himself. They sprayed him and he ran into the house doing a weird dance of sorts. Falling down on the right, then the left, rubbing his face on the carpet and franticly spinning. I grabbed my rubber gloves, put him into the bathtub, covered him with Scope Mouthwash (HA - I did not have tomatoe juice and I wasn't about to use my Classico Spaghetti Sauce). Then I bathed him in antibacterial soap. It worked pretty well. It took about an hour for me to return to sleepytown but what a wonderful sleep it was. Sometime today, I plan to do a bit of research to find out what I can use to encourage my furry striped 'friends' to stay away from my home. Have a precious President's Day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh mom that is crazy! how's the dog now, still smelly? i hope the spray didn't damage his eyes at all? how did he like the bath? oh my goodness that is crazy, how many skunks is it? love you