Monday, February 11, 2008

Election 2008 - Have We Grown As A Country?


As a youth, preparing to vote for the first time (about 100 years ago), I asked my Dad what his voting strategies were. I will never forget these words, "Baby, politicians are relatively all the same and a lot of them are crooked. But the bottomline is as a citizen of the United States, the right to vote is a privilege so don't take it for granted. Listen to all candidates and determine your voting strategy not by party, but by what the candidates stand for, and how what they stand for will affect your life." I'm not sure if my Dad would have envisioned a woman candidate or a candidate of color but based on the intelligence of his voting strategy I know he would definitely encourage EVERYONE to vote...not based on a person's gender, nor on the color of their skin...nor their political party BUT WHAT THEY STAND FOR AND HOW THAT WILL AFFECT YOUR LIFE! I pray that America has grown at this time in history and will continue to grow to be a wise and intelligent nation valuing all people, for many have contributed to the building of our great nation and there is no better time, than the present, to embrace diversity.

No comments: