Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Have You Ever Thought About Becoming A Vegetarian?


There are many reasons why people decide to eliminate meat from their diet: 1) mistreatment of animals, 2) antibiotics injected into animals that may get into our bloodstream and possibly cause us to become immune to antibiotics and 3) fattening agents given to animals could cause human obesity. I've been a vegetarian for 8 months now and some people ask me, "How do you survive on lettuce?" There are tons of things to eat besides lettuce BUT after I explored a multitude of different types of rice, pastas, legumes, beans, nuts, fresh fruits and veggies (and I am sure I have only explored the tip of the iceberg) I decided to try soy meats and I must admit, I am very pleased. There are soy chicken strips, soy sausage, soy steak strips, soy meatballs, soy crumbles (like ground beef) and soy burger and chicken patties, etc. The texture is good and the taste is great. Basically, you're not cooking the soy meat, but heating it through so once your recipe is prepared, toss the soy meat in about 10 minutes prior to completion, stir and enjoy. If you are taking steps to improve your health, I encourage you to try the vegetarian lifestyle...maybe have vegetarian Thursday then move up to 3 days a week or something like that. It helps to have onions, bell peppera (green, red, yellow, orange) and celery, etc. cut up and put in freezer bags so as you prepare different recipes, it is easy to incorporate more flavor via fresh veggies. Keep fresh garlic available. I also use Sea Salt, Black Peppercorns and Extra Virgin Olive Oil now. Some of my recipes have been posted on The Mom Squad Blog. My children are enjoying the change and slimming down too. As an old commercial used to say, "Try it...You'll like it." Let me know if you do. My oldest daughter, Shae, became a vegetarian 14 years ago. Thanks for paving the way honey!

No comments: