Monday, April 28, 2008

Wow, What a Whirlwind....

HEY EVERYBODY! I HAVE MISSED COMMUNICATING WITH YOU. Well, let's see...where to start. I'm still waiting for the pictures from Mom's birthday party so I will post those as soon as I receive.

I saw a commercial on TV for Free Mammogram and Pap Screening so I signed up. I used to be faithful to get these tests annually but unfortunately a few frustrating medical moments caused me to fall off the bandwagon AND THAT IS NOT THE RIGHT THING TO DO. Anyway, I am still waiting for the results on those tests but when they checked my vitals my blood pressure was through the roof! What a shock to me. As some of you know, over the past 3 years or so I have made many drastic changes in my life to improve my physical fitness and I had never had high blood pressure before so this news blew me down as Popeye would say. Consequently, I was sent immediately to the emergency room and from there given meds. Believe it or not, my pressure has not come down yet (they say it takes about 10 days for the medicine to kick-in) and I have had to see the doctor 3 times in 1 week with a standing Tuesday @ 1pm appointment. They keep sending me for more and more tests and the only thing left to do now is the dreaded colonoscopy...yikes! Though some of the results have not come back yet, those that have are, per the doctor "better than great!". Let's see, I have had 2 sets of blood work checking for anemia, thyroid, kidney function, cholesterol and EKG and a CAT Scan. Whew!

So at this point, they are saying it is either "one of those things", "hereditary" or "something is critically wrong that they have not found yet". I appreciate your prayers in this matter and I PRAISE GOD for allowing me to have the opportunity to be checked out but just in case you were wondering I FEEL FANTASTIC!!! I have none of the symptoms that they are telling me I should be experiencing with hypertension. I am still power walking 3 - 6 miles a day, eating right, drinking 64 oz of water per day and slowly but surely my weight is coming down so I will keep you posted.

Hypertension is called THE SILENT KILLER. I recommend everyone get their pressure checked regularly, with or without health insurance. You can go to any fire station and they will be happy to check your pressure for free. Not sure how accurate the machines are at the grocery or drug store but that is also an option. Don't ignore high results. Take care.

No comments: